Saturday, February 20, 2010

Exploring the NLVM website Week 2

By this time, I have explored many of the activities available of the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives. However, I am particularly excited about the geoboard activity. During my first week using this website, I was not really aware of this activity, probably because it is located far down on the list and I was preoccupied with all of the cool activities listed before it. I think that this activity is especially great because of the type of class I have. I have a whole unit of geometry I have to teach in the spring and the use of manipulatives can become challenging with the mix of students I have. I have a lot of students with attention issues and commonly, geoboards and rubber bands become nothing but toys and honestly, a big hassle. Using the NLVM website, I can not only give my students time on the computers, which they love, but I can avoid the inevitable event of a rubber band flying across the room. With the use of the Promethean Board, I can connect to the website and work along with my students using the same technology that they are while teaching topics such as area in a new interactive way. I look forward to utilizing this in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment