Monday, March 15, 2010

NLVM - Week 5

This week I explored the Circle 3 manipulative. This is located under the Grade 3-5 category as well as under other grades. I like this manipulative as a do now for my class. It is one of those activities that really makes you think. The goal of this manipulative is to complete a pattern of interlocking circles according to the rules and hints that you are given. The one I am referring to asks you to complete the circles so that each circle adds up to 3. Some parts of the circles already have numbers in them ( in this case they are all decimals). The circles over lap like a Venn diagram so any number that you put in one circle will effect the outcome of the surrounding circles. The solutions to this manipulative are not easily found. I like this manipulative because the process in challenging and though provoking. I is great for practicing trial and error. A small amount of strategizing and common sense will help but trial and error is really the only way for students to solve the puzzle in this manipulative.

No comments:

Post a Comment